A virtual cooking class on wheels, the RV Cooking Show takes viewers on adventures to some of the most sought-after or interesting but little known RV locales then creates a healthy, easy destination-related RV recipe in host Evanne Schmarder's RV kitchen. Tune in to our RV TV...it's always delicious!

Thursday, March 27, 2008

I took a shortcut...and it was delicious...recipe included!!

It's been one of those crazy busy weeks for me...in an excellent way...but crazy busy just the same. These circumstances always make me crave "comfort food". When I was a kid one of my favorite comfort foods was creamy, oozy chicken pot pie. I remember buying frozen pot pies for a quarter a piece and loving them...until the day I turned one out of the shiny aluminum pie tin to find they had done away with the bottom crust. Yikes!!! That was cheating...no fair.

Fast forward years later and rarely do I frequent the grocery's frozen pot pie section - and they are certainly more than a quarter nowadays! But pot pie I do prize so I make my own but with a twist - BBQ Chicken Pot Pie - using mostly readymade ingredients. It's quick, easy and comforting.

Here's my recipe for this tasty BBQ Chicken Pot Pie courtesy of your friends at the RV Cooking Show:

BBQ Chicken Pot Pie

Preheat oven to 350-400 degrees

• 2 "deep dish" pie shells (one package) - try to find some made without lard if possible

• Half a bbq flavored rotisserie chicken - skinned, boned and shredded

• Small bag of frozen mixed vegetables - cooked (in microwave)

• Small potato - cubed and cooked (in microwave)

• Bottle of high quality bbq sauce - try to find some without high fructose corn syrup - Trader Joe's brand is excellent

Take pie crust out of the freezer to thaw - separating the two shells.

Combine chicken, vegetables, potato cubes and half a bottle of bbq sauce in a large bowl and mix together. Add more bbq sauce if not moist enough (remember - the sauce will be absorbed so make it wet to start).

Spoon chicken mixture into one pie shell. Top filling with a thin layer of bbq sauce. Carefully turn remaining pie shell out of tin and place atop the filling - making a top crust. Pinch edges together in an eye-pleasing fashion and cut 3 to 4 vent holes in the top of the crust.

Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown*. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.

Slice and serve with an easy green salad tossed with Ranch dressing and extra bbq sauce on the side for dipping.

*Tip - My oven doesn't brown so well but if yours does consider using aluminum foil to cover the pie crust edges so they don't burn. Remove the foil about half way through cooking so they can get all brown and crusty...mmmm.

See what I mean - my husband doesn't call me "Shortcut Schmarder" for nothin. Sorry I don't have a photo for you...I guess I was in too much of a hurry to eat! Enjoy this simple recipe and feel free to fuss with it - making it your very own.

Evanne
RV Cooking Show

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...