A virtual cooking class on wheels, the RV Cooking Show takes viewers on adventures to some of the most sought-after or interesting but little known RV locales then creates a healthy, easy destination-related RV recipe in host Evanne Schmarder's RV kitchen. Tune in to our RV TV...it's always delicious!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

RV Kitchen Question

I recently received this RV kitchen question from a soon to be RVer:

We are avid RVers who are about to take off for a year or so with the goal of seeing all fifty states. My husband, three children, two cats and will be traveling in a travel trailer.

Our youngest child is gluten-intolerant and sensitive to a laundry list of things. I have all of her special flours/sugars in glass canisters (Pyrex or Anchor Hocking). I noticed that you cook using glassware. I’d prefer to stick with glass over plastic. How do you keep them from breaking while you travel?

Also, I’m concerned about some of the expensive flours not doing well under humid conditions or getting bugs in them. Do you ever experience this?

Here’s what I said:

How exciting your trip sounds! It may sound odd but a big part of it is where your kitchen is located. Rear kitchens tend to bounce more so cupboards may open and items may clink together. RVers combat this by using spongy shelf liner between glassware and placing items in a basket. They’ve also have been known to bungee the cupboards shut when traveling.

I have a middle kitchen and have had terrific luck. My shelves are lined and we take rough road/bumps pretty slow. Fortunately I’ve never broken anything. I set the clear Pyrex glass mixing bowls atop one another with the lids on them in the over the sink cupboards. The heavier Pyrex bowls go in a cupboard on the lined floor with shelf liner in between them. Glass wine glasses get laid on their side and wrapped in a dish towel when we roll. Small juice glasses and shot glasses sit upside down on the lined shelves above the sink. It’s a tight fit in there and that deters them from falling over and rolling around.

As for flour, etc. yes, you may get bugs. Humidity has not been a problem for us at all, though. I keep all my dry storage goods in a container (or the original package) and then in a large Ziploc bag – all air squeezed out and sealed tightly – and critters have not been a huge issue. If they are left anywhere air gets to them trouble could ensue. I’d suggest you put your glass containers in Ziplocs just in case.

I hope this is useful and I wish you safe and exciting journeys.

What do you think? Can you add any words of wisdom for our soon to be traveler? Do so in the comments section below.

If you like this post you might also like Top 10 RV kitchen Storage Solutions by guest blogger Kay Hasty.

Summer camping season is just around the corner. Are you getting your RV kitchen ready to roll?

Evanne
http://www.rvcookingshow.com/

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...